APR
2013

Homeschool Handwriting Curriculum Forum

handwriting

Hi everyone! Welcome to day 5 of my Homeschool Curriculum Forum posts! Today we’re talking about handwriting.

there are a few different theories about handwriting out there. I personally prefer to stick with manuscript from preschool – second grade then I move on to introduce cursive to my students. I also like to stick to traditional manuscript as opposed to D’Nealian print. I know I’ll probably get a few different comments on this, but my line of reasoning is this; Students need to know how to print.

They need to also know how to print neatly.

On pretty much any form they will experience in life, they’ll need to print. If they move onto cursive too soon I don’t feel that students get a good enough grasp of printing neatly prior to the transition. And since most curriculum only offers cursive once you get into higher grades, I take advantage of the traditional method of manuscript until then.

I like to start out with A Reason for Handwriting. I like their colorful pages, and the fact that my kids are practicing writing scripture which is also nice. One thing I don’t love about this? Is that there aren’t typically enough lessons to get us through one full year, so I find that I’m ordering the next level about now. I guess that’s not a huge deal though right?

I do like their transition (Level T) year as well, I find that it does a good job in the transition from manuscript to cursive. I have previously started this when my kids hit 3rd grade when I find that their motor skills are such they can easily make the transition. I have tried to introduce cursive in 2nd grade and found that motor skill wise they just weren’t ready yet, so I’m sticking to cursive in 3rd grade.

areasonforhandwriting

Pros:

• Uses scripture as handwriting practice
  • Reasonably priced

Cons:

• Repetitive, and can get boring after awhile

That said, this upcoming year I’m actually going to switch to BJU Handwriting. Partially just to give my kids a change since they’re kind of getting bored with the same exact handwriting pages each day.

And also because I like the more upright cursive I found in the fourth and fifth grade handwriting books. Turbo has a hard time visually reading super slanted (a.k.a. more traditional) cursive and I think this type might suit him better. I also like that there are a little more variety of activities from day to day with this curriculum as well. So we’ll give it a go and I’ll keep you posted on what we think!

I don’t typically purchase the teacher’s manuals for handwriting, so if someone out there thinks I need to please speak up! I usually just take a look at what they’re working on that day, do a few samples for them on the white board if they need it, then let them have at it. I do check for neatness and also make them read whatever it is they’ve written to me out loud just so I know they understand what they’re writing. It’s also good to show them if they can’t read what they’ve written then there’s a good chance others won’t be able to read it either.

bjuhandwriting

Pros:

• Activities vary from day to day.
  • Uses the D’Nealian font if you prefer that.

Cons:

• Some of the capital letters are different than traditional cursive.

So, now comes the fun part!

What are your favorite Handwriting curriculum, resources, websites, etc? Leave a comment below discussing your choices for this year and why.

Feel free to ask questions or reply to each other too!

It’s my way of doing a forum without actually doing a forum haha!

And hopefully this will help us all as we start the process of researching curriculum, and trying to decide what will be the best fit for our homeschool.

Note: Please keep today’s conversations geared towards Handwriting, I will be posting one for each subject separately so we can keep our comments organized.

Disclosure: This was not a sponsored post, I may however be affiliated with one or more products mentioned. The opinions expressed in this post were not influenced by the company. They are products I have used and felt like sharing, cuz’ it’s my blog and I can if I want to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. We’ve added a new handwriting program to the variety of methods we use to accommodate different learning styles: Fundanoodle – http://www.fundanoodle.com.

The younger students love the manuscript activities but the cursive books are brand new and we’ve just started using them, so I can’t really comment on that part of their program (yet!).

2. For younger kids, up to about grade 3, I love Handwriting Without Tears. I have two lefties out of 3 kids and the pages are designed to work for both righties and lefties.

After that we move on to copywork, either that I make or from Happy Scribe and always themed to what we’re studying.

3. My third grader still has SLOPPY printing. That, combined with no interest in learning cursive, meant I put it off. Now he says he wants to learn cursive in 4th grade. I don’t know if I’m going to buy a curriculum or try to put something together myself, maybe from donnayoung.org. If I do buy a graded or leveled curriculum, would I need to buy Grade/Level 3? He’s put off by anything that’s marked lower than where he is. (We used AAS Level 1 for a couple of months. He hated it. Part of what he didn’t like was that it was Level 1 instead of 3).

• If you purchase a graded or leveled curriculum you need to purchase the first year that they start teaching it so they learn the form….

• Good for you for waiting until he was ready/interested. One of the nice things about Handwriting without Tears is the books aren’t marked with grades for the same reason you are concerned about. Just start with the first cursive book.

4. Christine Apolenis says:

I love Zaner Bloser handwriting – we are doing traditional manuscript in kindergarten this year. The pages are colorful and engaging and I love how they show them how to form the letters.

• Thank you so much for posting this. I have looked through at least a half-dozen handwriting programs and have not been happy with them for one reason or another. I looked into Zaner Bloser from your recommendation posted here and LOVE it. I will be able to use it for four of my students each in different grades. I was so pleased to FINALLY find a program that I liked from K-6th grade! Thanks again for mentioning it!!

• Do you actually need the teachers manual for this curriculum? I loved the student book and the price but when I looked into the teachers manual it was SUPER EXPENSIVE. Thanks!!!

5. Joan Johnson says:

I am definitely going to have to look into these books and suggestions!!!! But can some one please help me with ideas to make writing/coloring more enjoyable for my 4yo. He does NOT like to color or practice his writing. He either just refuses or tries to whine, or he goes as fast as he can to be done with it and the work looks horrible. How do I make it more fun for him. He loves making letters and words out of shapes, noodles, etc. The actual writing and coloring is what he does not like. Thank you for any help that you can give!!!

• I would try downloading a coloring sheet or buying a book that his is really interested in and either you or someone else that is special to him sit down and color with him. Show him how to color in small strokes. Also for writing, try a whiteboard with colorful dry erase markers or a alphabet dry erase workbook that is colorful. My daughter loves the fact that she can write and then wipe it clean! I hope that helps.

• Sounds like my 4 year old son :) we tried the Kumon tracing book and now the Kumon mazes book has him doing multiple pages and asking if he can do more! His skills have really improved! Might be worth a try for your son :)

• My son did that at that age. He is now 7 and snapped out of it on his own probably about 5 1/2. He would NOT color or write. I always had coloring books and crayons/markers/colored pencils available for him, and we moved on with school that didn’t require writing. He started coloring color by numbers books and would sit down and color lots of pages when HE decided. He is really bright so we continued doing school, and I blamed the writing on maturity. I didn’t worry about it. He still doesn’t like writing, but he can write neatly when he is supposed to. I am pretty sure that he is on target for a 7 year old boy, but a 7 year old girl would probably have MUCH better handwriting than he does. Actually my 5 year old girl almost writes as well as he does (she definitely writes faster).
      I would advise not pressing the issue. You can do LOTS of school without writing. You have to pick your battles and if you make this an issue, it might get ugly.

• I completely agree with Allyson. It sounded like you were describing my son. At 4 yrs old don’t push it. One day, when my son was about 5 1/2 he decided he wanted to write. We use Handwriting Without Tears. It is working well for us. He’s almost 7 and has just started coloring whole pages.

• There is no reason to stick to paper & pencil. How about writing letters or words in shaving cream on the shower walls. Or in flour on a baking sheet. Or on your back while you guess what he’s writing. The possibilities are endless when you look for creative mediums around your house.

• Wendy Brown says:

Don’t stress about handwiting at 4. He needs time to develop fine motor skils so follow his lead. Have fun with developing and strengthening those hand muscles for writing. Let him use playdough. Let him trace his fingers through shaving cream on a cookie sheet (or use rice) or through pudding – then of course, he licks it off his finger! You can do these outside! If you want it less messy, fill a large ziploc bag with paint. Tape it well across the top so that none leaks out and let him trace through the paint with his finger. My kiddo always liked painting with a brush rather than coloring. Let him paint with water on a chalkboard.
      Later, my kiddo liked colored pencils better than crayons. He still does. If you use crayons, try the triangular ones in the beginning. When he begins more structured writing, try the letters shaped in bubble format (rather than tracing the dots). The child just creates lines within the bubbles. For some reason, that really worked better with my little guy. In fact, his writing really improved when we began using Math U See. They use the bubble format when teaching kids to write their numbers. It’s as if they provide the outer boundary lines and the kids write within those lines. I hope that makes sense and I hope it helps. Make writing fun as much as you can. It will get easier – I promise. With boys, especially, they often seem to struggle with writing even as they get older. Learn from my mistake. Save both of you some grief by making writing lessons shorter and build slowly. Best of luck!

• Boys typically aren’t interested in handwriting and coloring. If you focus on letter formation and incorporate it into fun games like others have listed (shaving cream, etc) then the writing will come. You can have him make the letters with his body, roll out playdoh into lines and curves to form the letters. If he is like my son you can have him collect leaves, branches from outside and form the letters with them. In my experience kids love to write with dry erase markers on a mirror or dry erase board also. I wouldn’t stress over it at 4. :)

• Also the app “Letter School” on the ipad is a lot of fun if you have one. We do not do a lot of work on computers, etc. but I really like this app. My daughter recently turned 3 and can write a lot of her letters with correct formation because of this app.

6. Meghan Hunt says:

I use seeds of worship CDs for bible memory and the website bible story printables has coordinating handwriting sheets in print and cursive for each song. We put the verse in a plastic sleeve to practice the verse each day and then write final copy on Friday. The kids love the songs and we get bible an handwriting done at the same time! And the printables are free!

7. Roberta Grewell says:

I use BJU Handwriting. For the most part, I like it but I do not like that some of the capital letters are different than ‘traditional’ cursive. And no, Erica, in my opinion you do not need to get the parents manual :)

• Thanks for your input, Roberta! We are currently using A Reason for Handwriting as well, but were also looking into BJU for this fall. You mentioned that the upper case letters were different; do you think it would add confusion to my son’s cursive writing that has been using ARFH for the past 2 years?

• It is drastic enough for kids to be confused. The letters still look like the the correct like, if you had to call it. I cannot remember all of them but I remember the “E” looks like a backwards 3. BJU begins that way because they start the kids writing in pre-cursive so the transition is easier. I have boys in K4 and 1st. My 4 year old began w/ BJU and we skipped the letters that were not traditional print. We supplemented with Erica’s LOTW for that. My 1st grader (who was beginning 2nd grade with BJU completed it w/ no issues. He would say, “wow mommy look at this “E!” It looks funny.” So he was aware that is was an “E” and he was fine with it. Half way through the book it began cursive. So I stopped it there because he was only 6 then and I did not want to give him cursive at that age.

8. Cassie DiStefano says:

We have used Abeka since K3 for handwriting. I really love the traditional style of manuscript and cursive that they use.

Once they get to 3rd grade they have practice at the top of the page and then they either copy a bible verse, a poem, famous quote, etc. They also have a “look it up” on most pages where they have to answer a question about an animal by referencing the animal dictionary in the back of their book. Towards the end of the 3rd grade book they write facts about Canadian provinces or territories and each United State (state flower, bird, capital, etc.). I like that they are using research skills and incorporate geography, history and bible. I also like that they are transitioned to write on regular notebook lines.

I am currently researching and switching up some of my curriculum. I was looking at a Reason for Handwriting because I like that they get a finished product to share with family at the end and their lessons look a little shorter but I just may stick with Abeka for handwriting again.

I’m excited to see everyone else’s ideas and curriculum choices!

• I am in the same vote… I have used Abeka since K now we are finishing up 3rd grade. I think I should have waited to start the cursive part so early like they offer. I am trying to decide if I am gonna stay with Abeka or make up my own for next year. I love that she had to look up the info for the animals and the states.

Looking for some good suggestions.

9. We use a mixture of Handwriting without tears and A Reason for Handwriting. I have my 2nd grader learn the cursive in the HWT and practice in the ARFH books. They aren’t the same font, as HWT is a simpler cursive font, but it gives her the idea of what she should be doing. I like how each step of writing the letter is explained. I over hear her saying the steps as she goes. For my Kindergartner I like HWT and then we just make our own copy work. Thank you for doing this series Erica!

10. Sarah Osterman says:

I just started the Handwriting Without Tears workbook with my kindergartner. She likes the gray blocks and it helps her not have as many reversals. She knows how to write all her letters so the big challenge for us is focusing on NEATNESS and slowing down. I also struggle with her with what someone mentioned earlier about not wanting to take her time and color thoroughly. She LOVES to draw and creates elaborate sketches but lacks either the patience or the fine motor to fill in with color very thoroughly. Constant variety of art supplies seems to help with motivation on that.
    I plan on teaching cursive once print is mastered, probably in second grade. I do have her do some copy work now but with sentences I write on manuscript paper that pertain to our days lesson or recent experiences etc.

11. I have been homeschooling for 13 years.This year was the first year I tried some of BJU curriculum. Handwriting 3 was one of them. I didn’t purchase the teachers manual either, and we did just fine. For example they had us writing about the inventing of the printing press. So we do more research on the Internet when there were lessons like that. Also, my son had previously learned a more traditional handwriting the year before, but has done fine with this. BJU handwriting has just a little different letter formation then what last years handwriting(From a different company) taught. I actually let him pick the way he wants to write certain letters. So in other words, he combines traditional handwriting (the way I was taught) with the way BJU handwriting teaches letters. I told him as long as other people could tell what letter it actually was he was writing, then it was fine to combine the different ways. Don’t we all add a little of our own flare to handwriting anyway? So I’m not so strict on a set formation per say, as I am on
    neatness and legibility! ; )

12. I am homeschooling for the first time this year and I have used A Reason For Handwriting for my 4th grade son. He hates writing so the short simple lessons are perfect for him. We will definitely be doing it again next year. My first grade daughter is doing Horizons handwriting. Simple lessons based in Scripture, which I like. Neither curriculum lasts until the end of the year, so I found a series of copywork to use during that time. We will use Copywork for Boys and Copywork for Little Girls by Sandi Queen until the end of the year. Do you have any suggestions for helping my daughter to stop rushing and start writing neatly? She is capable of beautiful handwriting, but she will not slow down and do it neatly.

13. Someone told me a long time ago (when we first started homeschooling) to remember that Art is handwriting practice too. Their little brain still has to tell their little fingers what to do whether they are drawing a letter or a stick person. I always made sure we had plenty of different types of papers and writing utensils for the kids to use.

We liked Reason for Writing, but by adding drawing in their free time, they got even more handwriting practice without even knowing it.

14. Becky Sellers says:

We used I Can Write from Christain Light Publications this year. They have a print version and a cursive version. The lessons start with letter formation then move to scripture copywork and onto information on animals and the world around you. The lessons are short and I got very little complaining. This was perfect for us this year. Now to decide what to do for next year!

15. My kids are still young and the only one in school is my 1st grader. She has decent handwriting, so for practice, I bouthg a handwriting book at the dollar tree. It goes through all the letters (upper and lower case) and has words using both letters that she must write out as well. For my two preschoolers, I buy the Alphabet workbooks from the Dollart Store and have them practice writing the letters as they learn them. The Dollar Store has many workbooks that help the younger kids with learning. They are also good for extra practice.

16. For my 3, now 4, year-old I have actually let him use an app on the iPad. It is called Letter School. He has learned how to form his letters correctly through following the animation in the program. I highly recommend it for those who are learning to write. There are also three different fonts they can practice with, Handwriting Without Tears, Zaner-Bloser and D’Nealian, it covers upper and lowercase letters and also numbers. Best app I have ever bought!!

• We have that app too and both my boys (5 &3) love it! Highly recommend it for those families whose children are motivated by electronics.

17. We used Handwriting Without Tears for preK. I liked it somewhat but I like A Reason for Handwriting more. We switched to that in K and used it this year (1st) and plan to use the T book next year (2nd). I love the structure, the repetitiveness, the Scriptures, and the cute border sheets. :)

18. We have used a Reason for Handwriting but I have been waiting to do the Level T book. My girls are in 2nd grade and I am glad to hear that you didn’t start until 3rd. Now I feel a little better about holding off. I just don’t use cursive at all and am not too excited about teaching them even though they ask. We also do a lot of copy work as well for handwriting.

19. I’m enjoying reading everyone’s responses! We are on our 2nd year of Reason for Handwriting for both my girls (1st and 2nd grade). We did choose to go forward with the Transition to cursive this year for my older daughter, and she is doing relatively well. She was very eager to start also. I am looking forward to the time when I feel they don’t need the curriculum anymore and perhaps just stick with copy work of various sorts. I also wish the Reason for Handwriting came in several Bible translations so you could choose (wishful thinking!). It hits me strange when a familiar verse feels very different from what I know/memorized–a minor detail though.

20. I use BJU curriculum for my kids. I love their handwriting. My kids are doing very well with it. It’s very pretty and not complicated at all. I do not use the teacher’s manual, but I did learn BJU handwriting when I was in school. I still don’t think you would need it. You might want the letter writing descriptions to reference if you’re unfamiliar with their technique. Also, you can download their font from their website (along with the dotted and dotted with arrows) to use if you want to make any of your own worksheets. My son actually taught himself cursive at the end of kindergarten (not everything, but a lot) because of the precursive printing they learn. The transition is very easy. I also found their cursive to be much simpler than other handwriting.

21. ElizabethH in CO says:

We loved HWT K. Helped my leftie tremendously. Her handwriting is SO nice now. Highly recommend HWT! I will say for HWT you should buy everything they recommend…the TM, the student workbook, the cd, the blackboard, chalk, and sponges. My daughter loved everything about the program.

• Do you have to start at the beginning (or 1st workbook) with this?

• I have used HWT at every level for years. You really only need the TM, wkbk for the level and the slate. I also buy a ream of appropriate level writing paper. If your child can print, you could go ahead and use the Grade 2 book. HWT just released a Kick Start Cursive booklet for the end of 2nd grade. Cursive begins in the 3rd grade book.

22. I use a sharpie and different kinds of papers to do prewriting circles/squiggles, then we use a highlighter on dollar store lined paper to introduce the letters themselves and then at 4 I give them the handwriting workbook from Walmart that is broken into four sections (indented capitals, indented lowercase, raised top and bottom lines, just lined). Then once they get the hang of properly forming the letters we do copy work using their awanas memory verse or a sentence that they choose from one of their favorite books. We will see if a similar approach works with cursive when my oldest hits 3rd grade.

23. I used BJU (2nd) this year and stopped it when we hit the lessons that introduced cursive. To take over we, we bought A Reason For to stay in manuscript until the end of the year. My son (7) will do it because I asks but he really does not want to. He begs to go back to BJU but I didn’t think he was ready to handle cursive at 7. This is traditionally is 1st year grade year but he’s on 2nd grade level. So “1st grade” seemed a bit young for cursive. In August, I may pick up cursive! Just becaus he is asks for it.

24. My older boys know cursive, both American and Italics versions. Neither of them use it except to sign their names. I often wonder what the point was of all those years of forcing cursive. Let’s face it, we live in a Print Only society.

25. Bekah Begg says:

We just ordered a reason for handwriting for my son to use next year. He will be doing first grade work. This year we are just Horizons phonic which has a lot of writing during the lessons, so he gets practice that way.

26. We have had success with Getty-Dubay Italic books. Sometimes I make my own copywork pages as well with a program called Fonts for TEachers from Educational Fontware. I have also downloaded books from Character Italic, which take a student through character qualities, first defining them, writing a quote from a famous person, and then answering a question on character. Zeezok publishing also sells a download for various handwriting versions called Presidential Penmanship. You can get Italic, Zaner-Bloser, and possibly one other font, which give handwriting practice based on quotes from the US Presidents.This is nice because you simply print off the pages you want, and you can use it with multiple children.

27. I recently found a great free printable copywork resource. It has lots of great things like the doxology, 10 commandments, some Psalms and poems. http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/manuscript-copywork/

28. We currently use HWT however I would like to try something new next year and I may try BJU. I do have a problem that I was wondering if any of you have delt with. My 7 year old daughter has horrible handwriting. I know that the main reason is how she holds her pencil but I cannot seem to get her to stop. Currently she fist the pencil which takes forever for her to write and it does not look good. I will correct it and then she will go right back to fisting it. She is a very intelligent child and excels in all subjects so it stresses me that I can’t get her to hold her pencil correctly. Any advice?

• I saw a pin on pinterest to get your child to hold their pencil correctly. You find an old sock, cut out two holes, one for their thumb the other for the pointer finger, the rest of the fingers stay in the sock, ideally the child has to hold their pencil correctly to write. I didn’t pin it, so I can’t give you the link, but it might be worth a try.

• You can also buy those little grippies that go around a pencil, they are about 1 inch in length and are generally triangular. They should be available at a local teacher supply store. Here’s a link to what I’m talking about http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2C925%2C124&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1366693238646

Perhaps you could encourage writing with her finger in salt or painting with watercolors, something that will require a similar skill but won’t work as well with a ham fisted grip.

• HWT teaches proper pencil grip in the kindergarten level book (I don’t know if any of the other levels re-teach this). My first grader held the pencil completely wrong (pained me just watching her write! I’m surprised she didn’t break pencils) until I consistently and persistently corrected her grip. It took awhile, but anytime I saw her pick up a pencil, I checked her grip and corrected it if it was wrong. She holds it correctly now (a year or so later) and she hasn’t gone back to her old ways. It could be just a “bad habit” that your child needs help breaking. And as we all know, bad habits are very hard to break! :) I hope this helps you a little…

29. Does anyone have suggestions for a leftie? My little one is left handed but is having trouble forming some letters and then tries to write them right handed.

• I would try using the Handwritint Without Tears program. I’m a lefty and find it very “left-hand-friendly” — even though I’m teaching three right-handed kids. :) The kindergarten level teaches proper pencil grip (something many left-handed children struggle with) and how to position the paper on the table according to which hand you write with — I love that! If your child consistently switches hands for writing, I would try teaching him/her to write with their dominate hand (does your child eat left-handed as well? Does your child throw left-handed?). If it turns out writing is easier with his/her right hand, then I would teach as if he/she is dominantly right-handed. Does that make sense?

30. Has anyone used Pictures in Cursive from Queen Homeschool? It looks fun.

31. My favorite handwriting program is Handwriting Without Tears. Because I’m a cheapskate, I only bought the kindergarten level. Once my children finished the workbook, I bought kindergarten-lined paper (the newspaper print kind from a school supply store) for copywork until my children reached first grade, then I bought first-grade-lined paper for practice. Once they hit second grade, I stopped buying lined paper and found free 3rd-grade-lined paper from various homeschool blogs for the copywork I assign. So what I’m saying :D is that I initially teach from the kindergarten book and only change the paper over the course of three years. My three older children have excellent penmanship. I only require them to rewrite their copywork if I feel it’s too sloppy, which is rarely these days. My first grader is currently writing on first-grade-lined paper and while handwriting practice is not her favorite thing, I have noticed improvement over the course of this year since she finished the workbook. I don’t believe you have to fork out a lot of money on bells and whistles (extras) to teach handwriting. Find a program you like, buy your own handwriting paper, and require neat penmanship. :)

32. We use Abeka for K4, K, and 1st grade. I teach cursive in first grade. For 2nd grade and up we will just do copy work using Bible verses and quotes from good literature.

33. I currently use abeka for my younger student and I teach my 3rd grader cursive through memory verse and copywork. I use handwritingworksheets.com because it is free and because I can put in a letter she may be struggling with and she can have extra practice. Also, I can use this site for print or cursive for both children. On Friday’s I test my 3rd grader to see what she has learned. I also use http://www.softschools.com/handwriting/cursive for worksheets. If she has trouble we work together, so far she has done great. We currently don’t have the extra cash to spend on another book or the space to store another book. Hope this helps!

34. Has anyone used PALS writing from the Institute of Excellence in Writing?

• This is a delayed answer, but in case anyone else is interested, I’ll share my experience. We LOVE PAL. It is absolutely fantastic. I’ve taken two boys through it already, and beginning my third in January. I highly recommend!!

35. Although this discussion was started a couple of years ago, I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I had been told a couple of years ago that our schools would no longer be teaching cursive and a raging debate began over whether this was a good idea. One thing that came up that really got me thinking was a comment by a history professor. He pointed out that in Egypt they eventually stopped using hieroglyphics and then eventually stopped teaching how to write hieroglyphics. Eventually, there was no one left who could read the symbols. Thousands of years of history were lost. Even though many symbols have now been (they THINK) translated accurately, it took years and years of painstaking research with no guarantee that they are correct.

So many personal letters and documents were written in cursive. If there is no one left who knows how to read them, how much of our history will we lose? How easy is it to delete e-mails and a piece of history is actually lost. So much of what we know of the past is through personal letters. If those letters had been text messages and e-mails, they probably wouldn’t even exist now. In depending on technology for everything, how much more do we risk losing than just a few curly letters?

Even though we don’t really need candles for light, I would hate for the world to lose the ability to make candles. Even though we have machines to make clothing, I would hate for us to become so dependent on those machines that there is no one left in the world who knows how to truly sew. How about wood carving and cooking meals from scratch instead of reheating a boxed dinner? So many skills that really could someday be looked on as antiquated, but at the very least are a great art form in their own way and at most would be important for survival should technology fail. No one knows what our future will hold. If we become so dependent on technology that we can no longer function without it, are we dooming ourselves?

By the way, I am currently looking for a handwriting curriculum for a dysgraphic 4th grade boy who functions really well in a color environment but does poorly with black and white. Has anyone got a suggestion? I will look into A Reason for Handwriting along with some of the others mentioned.

36. Thank for the great recommendations, I can’t wait to find them. I have recently purchased a program that teaches shapes and creates great form. It’s simple and easy to follow. I am thankful I found this book and look forward to continuing my children’s handwriting. Sorry I don’t have the link, but you can search Facebook: Shaping up your penmanship. Thanks again for the references.

37. Has anyone mentioned Callirobics yet? http://www.callirobics.com. They are geared towards auditory learners. Handwriting set to audio and music. I’m thinking of trying it out. I have a lot of auditory learners at my house.