K4 Kindergarten Organization

Hi everyone! I’ve had so many questions on how to organize my K4 Kindergarten Curriculum. And since the Teeny Tot will be using it some this year, I thought now would be a great time to post on it.

Since there are so many printables in this curriculum, I thought it would be easiest to keep each PDF together, then store each one into a file folder. As you can see above, I wrote the names of the printables on the tabs in pencil so I can reuse them.

For example the Letter Hunt Worksheets are in that first blue folder, then the A-Z Handwriting in the following yellow one, and so on.

For the things I wanted to re-use, I placed the pages back to back in page protectors then put them in 3 ring binders. This way the Teeny Tot can write on them with dry-erase markers, and re-use as needed for additional practice.

I have two binders for the re-usable sheets, one for phonics activities, and one for math activities.

Anything that is related to phonics and is a game that i need to pre-cut or assemble I’m keeping in the phonics binder as well. That way it will be easy for me to pull them out as needed and I won’t be cutting frantically at the last second trying to prepare her activities.

In the math binder I keep anything related to counting. Again, I’ve prepared these things ahead of time so they’re ready to go.

I plan to keep the file folders in something nice like this file box so they’re easily accessible and I can find them quickly each day when I’m getting ready to fill her workboxes. The binders will be kept on one of my shelves near the file box for easy access.

51 lbsvI-IL._SY300_

So that’s it, my simple K4 Kindergarten Curriculum organization ideas. I’m sure some of you have already tackled this so if you found something that worked well for you, make sure to share it in the comments below so others can glean from your experiences!

The K4 Kindergarten Curriculum is great for kids age 4-5 who are kindergarten ready. The curriculum introduces beginning reading, math and handwriting skills, and prepares students to enter into first grade!

1. I did something very similar with the Letter of the Week curriculum. As I printed each letter out, I placed it into a hanging file folder labeled with that letter. I found a clear “open top file box” at JoAnn’s for $3 that holds 26+ hanging files. I bought 2 of them. On Sundays, I take the appropriate “Letter of the Week” folder and divide it into Monday through Friday folders and place them in the 2nd “open top file box”, along with other supplies that are needed. It works better for my daughter than the file boxes for my older children.

• Lynn Ashburn says:

I love that idea! thank you for posting!

• Me too! Thanks so much!! I was just pricing out binders for the letter of the week curriculum and it would be too costly for me at this point….love the hanging file folder idea!!

• I did the same thing! I got two large clear bins and have a hanging folder for each letter and then file folders for individual activities. I have folders for every day of the week that have the brads in them. I put clear page protectors in each folder with the brads so if Monday’s activity is tracing practice, I put it in the page protector in Monday’s folder and that way it can be reused. Considering little one #2 is now using it, and will have at least 2 more coming after her to use it I’m all about stretching out use as much as I can. :)

• michaela Cantu says:

What does a hanging folder look like. Could you post a picture?

2. Thank you for this! I got a milk crate and some hanging file folders to put each weeks work in. I think it requires more effort to do it this way because I have to go from .pdf file to .pdf file on my desktop and print out what I need for each week, but I like having all the weekly stuff together in one place. I always have to do things the hard way. 😉

3. I purchased this CD (K4) this last week from you and already I love it my little girl loves it. My only wish I would have known about it for my 4 older children! Thank you so much:)

4. Here is a link on how I organized Letter of the Week curriculum!

5. Is there a trick to printing out this curriculum and not spending two hundred dollars on ink? I have lotw and felt so discouraged after printing letter a with fresh ink and it being half gone after just one letter. I love this and lotw and will do something similar to this for late

• I was in the same boat. I begin researching printers and found one I couldn’t be happier with. I can print multiple letters before running out of ink. It is a brother printer: LC61 series, model no. DCP-J140W. I get the generic ink cartridges on amazon for a fraction of the price. We invested the $100 dollars for the machine AND ink almost a year ago and I’m just now close to needing more ink! :-) This investment ended up costing less then new ink cartridges for the old Lexmark machine. Hope this helps.

• Thank you!!! I purchased the Omnibus and now have LOTW but I have been trying to figure out how to print it without it costing me a fortune! Maybe I need to dump the Lexmark printer! I love all the organizing ideas too. 26 binders just aren’t in the budget.

• If you have a second hand store (Savers, etc.) nearby check them for binders. I can usually find a few every trip. They are typically priced between $0.10 and $1.00 depending on the store and thickness of the binder.

6. Hey there,

Thanks for the organization tips…they will come in handy most definitely! i recently purchased this but am having a hard time finding the bible curriculum….(maybe just a dumb moment)…am i just missing it? i have searched through the files and thought i looked thoroughly…thanks!

• Hi Mindy,
      There is a daily bible memory verse included in the curriculum. You’ll see the printable cards in the curriculum download.

7. Sandra Libby says:

THANK YOU! I am using this curriculum for the 2nd time around this year. I feel I can much more organized this year with my daughter since I didn’t feel very organized when I used it for my son last year. I appreciate this post more than you know!
    And thank you for all the other ideas all you readers posted as well. So helpful!

8. Kellie Steele says:

Would you please tell me the brand of the coloured file folders in the top picture. I can only find manilla folders in my office supply store. Thank you for all the hard work you put into this website to make things easier for all who use it, I for one very much appreciate it.

9. Christine says:

I have been printing mine out (2 weeks worth at a time) according to what the lesson plans say is needed for that day/week.
    I have them separated in a binder by day and in order according to the plan.
    I laminated the items I wanted to re-use.
    I will be keeping this curriculum around for our 2nd child, whenever the Lord blesses with a 2nd one!
    Thanks for all your hard work, Erica! I sure do enjoy your site.

10. My youngest is between kindergarten and 1st grade. There are many aspects of this program that I am interested in implementing like calendar time, phonics and such. She is already doing mental math and very basic reading, understands patterns, recognizes all of her letters and numbers (into the 100s) and is printing nicely. My question to you and others is, shoudl I get this strictly for the organization in the areas I need it, or just wing it and go with the other printouts and unit studies? I know that it isn’t expensive, but every penny counts!

11. This is great!
    I had been waiting for this post and then I missed it.
    My question is, as you do this, how do you order the activities. There is a ton of stuff in K4. Do you put it in order of use or alphabetize?

12. You still use thedaily work boxes, right? This is just for storing the whole year of work, right? Maybe I missed it. I’ll go back and read again. :)

• Yes, I still use the daily workboxes, this is just how I organize the K4 Curriculum, so I can easily pull the daily work out and place it in her drawers.

13. How can I use this with my self contained K-2 spec ED class with 10-12 kids.,they would be put in small groups of 3 or 4

• I use it with my 4special needs kiddos, all cognitively impaired…as long as you have helpers, the sheets can be done with supervision…I use lots of page protectors and dry erase markers, and when I print for daily use, use draft mode…I have been doing letter A for a few weeks, lots or repetition, but feel ready to finally move on to B…

14. Hello-I just purchased K4 for my daughter to use this fall. I was wondering if you had some short of “cheat sheet” of all the pages that would be appropriate for laminating, use of sheet protectors or sheets that are used more than once.

I love the site and thank you for sharing so much great stuff.

• Hi Ana,
      It totally depends on you and your needs. Since the Teeny Tot is my last kiddo going through this, I didn’t laminate anything. I let her cut/paste all of the games instead and she loved it. If you want to re-use, then you’ll want to laminate the game type activities, but not the handwriting sheets. I think it’s best when learning to write if they do it with a pencil instead of super fat dry erase marker. But that’s just my opinion :)

15. Susanna Lanier says:

I am very interested in this curriculum but am wondering how to print it all without spending a fortune on printer ink! Do you have any suggestions for printing all the pages?

Thanks for your help!

16. Hi, I already purchased the K4 Kinder curriculum. I am trying to organize it. I see in the top picture you have the colored file folders with the subjects on it. Can you please name the subjects for me? I downloaded this purchase so its not all by subject. I greatly appreciate it . Thank you for your time and patience.