I know that a lot of you out there are already planning ahead for next year.

If you aren’t registered with an umbrella/independent school for homeschooling, you are required to submit a letter of intent to homeschool to your local school district if you plan to homeschool your children. As I’ve received several questions on this matter, I created a sample Notice of Intent to Homeschool form that you can download and use for your own family.

–> Download the Notice of Intent to Homeschool  Form <–

(This form is in MS Word format and is editable so you can insert your family’s information)

What are the notification requirements?

Requirements will vary by state, however most states require that you submit a notice of intent to homeschool to any school district in your state. The notice must be sent for any student between the ages of 6 and 16, including children who will be 6 by August 1st.

There is typically not a deadline for the notice of intent to be sent in, however it is required that the letter be filed with your school district at least 14 days prior to the start of your homeschool year. This means you do not have to file before the start of the local public school year, but 14 days prior to the start of your own homeschool year.

A notice of intent is also typically required to be re-submitted annually for each year that you plan to homeschool.

What should be included in the notice?

  • Child’s Name
  • Child’s Age
  • Child’s Residence
  • Hours of Attendance (For most states this should be 4 hours per day & 172 days per year)

What are the testing requirements?

Testing requirements vary by state as well, but most states require that you test or evaluate your students’ academic progress at grades 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. Testing should be administered by a certified evaluator using a nationally standardized achievement test. Test scores are then sent to your local public school district OR to an independent school. You can visit my “Homeschool Testing” post for more details on how testing works. As always please refer to the testing requirements outlined by your specific state for complete information.

Where can I get more information?

  • The internet! A simple Google search for “your state + homeschool law” will give you most of the answers you need for your state. If you have more questions, you can also call your local public school district offices.
  • www.hslda.org (Home School Legal Defense Association) is a nonprofit agency established to help the constitutional rights of parents to direct the education of their children and protect family freedoms. They have a lot of information regarding homeschooling help.

As always, you will need to contact your state for current homeschool laws and requirements, but I hope this post helps you get started!

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor is this post to be construed as legal advice. For homeschooling laws and requirements for your state, please contact your state’s department of education.


  1. In Iowa we do not have to submit a letter of intent either. And we are only required to do 148 days of homeschool, although I think most people I know do more than that to finish up curriculum. Interesting how different states have such different requirements!

  2. FYI… Oregon requires you to only notify them once unless you change school districts, then you have to send in a new form. This must be done for children 7-18 years old. Testing has to be done for grades 3, 5, 8 & 10.

  3. If you have your child evaluated in CO, the information in the link provided can be interpreted to mean that your child does not have to be evaluated until the parent in charge deems their child has completed the work for that grade. So it seems if your child is behind you may not need the evaluation until they are caught up to that year’s work.


    Something to look into further.

    1. That is interesting. I am considering homeschooling, and researching. I did find that a LOI is required for each year once the child has started school in a public school. (So I have to do it for my son since he attended Kinder, but won’t have to do it for my girls until they are 7.) I’m curious to know if this still applies if I get an “umbrella” school, or if I would be considered “enrolled” in that school. Also, testing or evaluating is required in CO, but as I understand it, I can have it done by a school whenever they do their testing. However, I will be responsible for the cost of that testing. Also, CSAP (state testing) is not required of homeschoolers, just federal standardized testing.

  4. In VA you have to file a NOI (name, age of child, and list of subjects to be taught). You also have to have your child tested every year once they turn age 6. For most it’s first grade but for some it’s Kindergarten. We also are required total school days of 180. But honestly that is not logged or submitted to the local School Board office.

    In VA you can also file by religious exemption and if you do get that exemption all the above is null and void.

    1. I found under the law you must keep your childs progress through the year to be submitted. I had to do a bunch of research because there’s a 90% possibility we will be moving there. Parents also must send 1 out of 3 or 4 options with letter of intent. Copy of Diploma of parent teaching child, copy of curriculum, and a few others. I am sending the copy of diploma so I can’t remember the other ones. So definitely check the law.

      Nicole Lang
    1. Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor is this post to be construed as legal advice. For homeschooling laws and requirements for your state, please contact your state’s department of education.

  5. Nebraska requires notarized letters of intent, signed by BOTH parents listed on the birth certificate(divorced or not), curriculum for math, language arts, science, social studies, and health – if you’re not using a premade curriculum then you submit an outline/summary for each subject, a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate, and the number of hours you will school each month that must equal at least 1,032 hours for K-8. We do not have to test or send in portfolios, but we do have to file each year once the child will be 6 on or before January 1 of the current school year.

  6. I think this post could be confusing for someone new to homeschooling…the laws can be very different for each state, even what is required as far as reporting. Simply stating that this applies to “x” state only and MAY help others in other states would clear up some confusion. I would hate for someone to fill something out that is incorrect for their particular situation/state. Members of HSLDA can access forms that include exactly what they need (nothing extra!) for reporting for their state from the website.

    In Michigan, no reporting, notice of intent or testing is required. 🙂

    1. Thank you Gwendolyn! I was thinking looking over the site how good it was but when I read this I almost freaked out!

      First thing I thought was that this post should have been specified in terms of the bloggers own state requirements and then point others or encourage them *which she did* to their specific state laws.

      I am in Michigan and just found out that we have no specific requirements or reporting as home school parents.

      Thanks for posting that!

    2. I am also in Michigan. We are immediately withrawing our daughter from K and I have been scouring the net to get the in’s and out’s. I am so worried about the truancy regulations, but the more I find, the more confident I feel. I am so happy to hear that I don’t HAVE to inform the district or anyone! I am nervous, but it’s so nice to see all the supportive websites!!

  7. Hi,

    I’ve read that in Indiana, you don’t have to notify that you’re homeschooling… However, my question is if a child is already in school, do you have them taken out and if so, what is the best way to do this…?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.