Happy New year everyone! I can’t even believe it’s 2015. When I was little we used to play make-believe-games centered around what it would be like when we hit the 2000’s. We thought there would be flying cars, teleporters, and other various back-to-the-future/Star Trek type advances. While we aren’t quite there yet, those things are on the horizon!
But for now, all that’s on my horizon is a backyard full of snowy bliss, along with a few more very very cold winter months ahead! As I write this it’s about 5 degrees outside, we’ve already shoveled and are now keeping warm by the fire with a little hot apple cider and some good movies.
The lake is almost frozen over and the ice shanties will be coming out soon. Along with all of the crazy ice fishers who dare to venture out into the middle of the lake with all of their gear. We walked out there last year just to check it out and I have to say it was a bit terrifying knowing that I was standing in the middle of a lake. I can’t imagine bringing out a whole little hut with a heater, chairs, and fishing gear. That seems a bit too risky for me.
In any case, it’s time for the January holidays and fun days! This month has a few, um….interesting days on it, so have fun with it, and keep warm!
- January 1 New Years Day
- January 19 Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday (celebrated the 3rd Monday)
January 1 New Years Day
- Take some time today to make a list of goals for the year. Have your kids write down theirs as well and post it somewhere you can refer to it often.
January 3 Festival of Sleep Day
- Yes, you heard me, it’s national sleep day. Apparently we’re given permission to sleep today, so go ahead! Take a little cat nap, or go to bed early and get a full 8 hours! Just pretend like I didn’t post this on the 5th and take a nap today instead. You can blame it on me.
January 3 Fruitcake Toss Day
- I think this is the greatest idea ever! I mean who really likes fruitcake anyway? Weird bits of fruit shouldn’t be located inside a delicious cake. But tossing them in a contest does sound like a lot of fun! So…set up some markers in your back yard and see who can toss theirs the farthest! Heck, turn it into a science lesson and see who can build the best catapult! Just aim away from the neighbors windows. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
January 4 Trivia Day
- I’m horrible at Trivia, but I love hearing about it from others! Take today to explore some online trivia sites like Funology, it’s a fun website with all kinds of kid trivia, strange and silly facts, and interesting tidbits of useless knowledge. For example did you know that honey bees have hair on their eyes? Me neither.
January 6 Cuddle Up Day
- This sounds like a no brainer, as well as a great idea with the temperatures we’ve been having! Grab some blankets, and cuddle up with your family! Turn it into a fun game day/night, or movie night!
January 7 Old Rock Day
- Old rock day seems like a great homeschool lessons just waiting to be discovered! Take some time today to learn a little bit about fossils, gems, and any other rocks that interest your kiddos! We have a rock collection kit that has a bunch of various rocks and minerals in it along with some cool cards. There are a ton of them available online too, check it out and take this opportunity to learn about something fun!
January 8 Bubble Bath Day
- Okay, now bath day is a day I can get excited about. But I think it should read “homeschooling parent bath day”. I mean who doesn’t need a break more than a homeschool mama or dad? I suggest a nice Lush bath bomb, some candles, and a good book!
January 11 Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friend’s Day
- Okay, this just seems mean, but hey, if it’s an actual day, and you have some puddles lying around, go for it!
January 13 Make Your Dream Come True Day
- Have a bucket list? See if there’s something you can check off your list today!
January 14 Dress Up Your Pet Day
- LOL! Really? I think there are people who do that everyday, but apparently today you’re given permission to go the extra mile! And if you’re a crafter maybe you can knit, crochet, or sew something for that special pet in your life.
January 15 National Hat Day
- Okay, now this seems like a good day to skip the hair styling, put it up in a pony and add a hat! But it’s not just baseball hats, think beanie, or even one of those fancy tea party type hats with the boas. Wait, it’s not national boa day, so maybe just stick to the fancy hat so people don’t stare.
January 17 Ditch New Years Resolutions Day
- Bwaaahahhahhhahahahaaahahahahahahahhhahahahahahaha! Yep, this is about the time I ditch all of those resolutions I’ve made.
January 18 Thesaurus Day
- Ah, now this seems like a useful day. Whip out the thesaurus, or check online and have your kids write a funny short story using as many adjectives, synonyms, or antonyms they can find!
January 19 Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday (celebrated on the third Monday)
- Take some time today to learn about Martin Luther King Jr. Check out NPS.gov for some great lesson plans and teachers guides to help get you started!
January 19 National Popcorn Day
- Ooh! I love popcorn! And this seems like a great snack idea for today. Maybe we’ll make it special and drizzle some chocolate over the top of our homemade popcorn, or maybe we’ll do the white chocolate, cranberry popcorn. Yum!
January 20 Penguin Awareness Day
- Penguin Awareness is a great opportunity to learn about one of our cutest animals, the penguin! This happens to be Turbo’s favorite animal, so I think we’ll have to do something special in honor of the penguin. You can learn more about them at Science Kids, National Geographic for kids and Kidzone, along with several other online resources! Feeling crafty? Bust out the yarn and crochet yourself a penguin hat. Or head over to pinterest penguin crafts for a whole slew of ideas!
January 21 National Hugging Day
- Yep, it’s finally here! I’m hugging everyone I see today, so if you happen to come across me….be prepared.
January 23 National Pie Day
- Enough said. Favorite pie, here I come! I’m going to try this recipe for Banana Cream pie. Wait…does cheesecake count?
January 23 National Handwriting Day
- And today my children will be working on their penmanship. Okay, we do that everyday. But today I’m going to be extra strict on posture and letter formation. And maybe I’ll even have them write a fun letter to their grandparents thanking them for all of the Christmas goodies to make it a bit less painful.
January 23 Measure Your Feet Day
- Um, no.
January 24 Compliment Day
- I just want to say that you guys are the best, most awesome, and kindest readers ever! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!
January 25 Opposite Day
- Yep, even homeschoolers can take part in these fun little goodies! So deem it opposite day in your homeschool. Have kids wear their clothes backwards, or maybe inside out…hmmm…which one is opposite right side out? Anyway, do all of your school work in the opposite order as normal. Maybe even eat dinner for breakfast, and breakfast for dinner to make it more fun. That way we can start the day with dessert! Sounds like a plan to me.
January 26 Spouse’s Day
- Take some time today to send a little bit of love and appreciation to your spouse. Maybe a little love note where they’ll find it, or make their favorite meal. If you’re really feeling ambitious, get a sitter and head out for a date night. Or in our case, put the kids to bed early and then have an at-home date night!
January 27 Chocolate Cake Day
- Yep, sounds good to me. I’m thinking the chocolate caramel cake, or this pioneer woman chocolate sheet cake. Yum! Also, with all of this snacking in January I was wondering if a national exercise day was coming up soon?
January 28 National Kazoo Day
- Well it’s been years since I’ve played a kazoo, but if you have one on hand today’s the day to bring it out and give up your best rendition of the Confederate Anthem! “Oh I wish I was in Dixie Land!”
January 29 National Puzzle Day
- Oh, I like this! Pull out some puzzles and have at it. Kids love working puzzles, but I have to say that in our house we sort of forget about them. But not today! Oh no, we’ll be pulling out some of our favorites and making use of our kitchen floor today!
January 31 Backward Day
- OKAY….so today must be the backwards clothes day. I think I had it backwards on opposite day. Or would that be right then? Since it was opposite day. I don’t know, now I’m confused.
January 31 Inspire Your Heart with Art Day
- I love art projects! Today would be a great day to get caught up on our artist units. Maybe we’ll pull out the paint and get on with some of the more messy projects that I’ve been procrastinating on!
Well that’s it for the 2015 January holidays! It seems like there are a lot of kooky days in January, but I guess the Christmas season takes a lot out of folks! And if anyone knows of a teleporter that can send me to a nice warm sandy beach, please let me know.
See you next month with another exciting list of random stuff you can do!