JUN
2012

Notice of Intent to Homeschool Form

I know that a lot of you out there are already planning ahead for next year.

If you aren’t registered with an umbrella/independent school for homeschooling, you are required to submit a letter of intent to homeschool to your local school district if you plan to homeschool your children. As I’ve received several questions on this matter, I created a sample Notice of Intent to Homeschool form that you can download and use for your own family.

NOI

–> Download the Notice of Intent to Homeschool  Form <–

(This form is in MS Word format and is editable so you can insert your family’s information)

What are the notification requirements?

Requirements will vary by state, however most states require that you submit a notice of intent to homeschool to any school district in your state. The notice must be sent for any student between the ages of 6 and 16, including children who will be 6 by August 1st.

There is typically not a deadline for the notice of intent to be sent in, however it is required that the letter be filed with your school district at least 14 days prior to the start of your homeschool year. This means you do not have to file before the start of the local public school year, but 14 days prior to the start of your own homeschool year.

A notice of intent is also typically required to be re-submitted annually for each year that you plan to homeschool.

What should be included in the notice?

• Child’s Name
  • Child’s Age
  • Child’s Residence
  • Hours of Attendance (For most states this should be 4 hours per day & 172 days per year)

What are the testing requirements?

Testing requirements vary by state as well, but most states require that you test or evaluate your students’ academic progress at grades 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. Testing should be administered by a certified evaluator using a nationally standardized achievement test. Test scores are then sent to your local public school district OR to an independent school. You can visit my “Homeschool Testing” post for more details on how testing works. As always please refer to the testing requirements outlined by your specific state for complete information.

Where can I get more information?

• The internet! A simple Google search for “your state + homeschool law” will give you most of the answers you need for your state. If you have more questions, you can also call your local public school district offices.
  • www.hslda.org (Home School Legal Defense Association) is a nonprofit agency established to help the constitutional rights of parents to direct the education of their children and protect family freedoms. They have a lot of information regarding homeschooling help.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Christine says:

For residents of New Jersey, nothing needs to be done if you are homeschooling. There is no testing requirement and no tracking of education. All I did was call my son’s elementary school and told them he would not be attend and they said “ok” and that was that.

2. Nc requires Notice of intent to be submitted to the NC Department of non public education :) they have a simple form on their website as well as the required attendance sheet. :)

3. Erin Marsee says:

Kentucky also has no real requirement. You must submit a letter just stating you will be homeschooling with the childs name to the director of personnel at the school board. No testing, no number of hours.

• We are relocating to KY in the very near future and our kids aren’t quite school age yet, but this is helpful to know! My husband said he heard there is a good homeschool network there, too?

• I live in Kentucky and it’s required that you send in your letter of intent to homeschool within two weeks of the start of the school year with the child (s) names, ages, and address.

You have to keep attendance register, sample work, and scholarship reports.

Teach the following subjects: Reading, Writing, Spelling, Grammer, Math & Civics.

Attend your homeschool 175 days for 6 hours a day. (instructional days)

For more go to HSLDA.org

There are also great support groups in Kentucky.

4. Kristie S. says:

In MN you don’t have to submit something until your child is 7 and then there is a great form on the MACHE website — http://www.mache.org that is great to fill out the first time. After that they have another very simple form to use for people who are planning to continue. We are required to test our children over 7 every year but don’t have to submit the results to the school district. No hour requirements or report cards to submit to the school district.

Anyone interested in homeschooling should definitely check with their own state homeschooling organization for the details about the requirements for their state as every state is different!

5. Amber Shonk says:

In Indiana no notice of intent is required. Under Indiana law, a parent is required to maintain attendance records “solely to verify the enrollment and attendance of the particular child.” parents only need to provide this upon request of the state superintendent or superintendent of your local school corporation only.

6. GA requires LOI and if you are in Cobb county they have a separate homeschool office at the Superintendent’s office. SUPER easy and wonderful to work with. They do require testing every 3 years starting at 3rd grade. There policy on testing is if you qualify as a tester you can administer to your own children. I am certified through BJU Press. I found this helpful in the early years to get my children used to the process so that when they are tested through a testing sight it would not be so stressful.

For RI, they ask for more in some ways. A LOI but also a list of curriculum. We have the right to homeschool but the school board has to approve our plan. Every district handles things a little different and some are easier than others to work with. Testing isn’t required but some type of evaluation is.

I do personally recommend HSLDA as a resource. They have helped me on more than one occasion navigate the requirements.

7. Thank you for posting this! I LOVE to see what others send in to their school districts. I did want to add though that in NY, we are required to be in school for 180 days, but we are not required to put the hours of attendance in our Letter of Intent. The hours and days are accounted for in our quarterly reports.

8. Illinois does not require any notice of homeschooling.

• amanda mitchell says:

I am wanting to pull my child asap. What am I supposed to do if i am not required to give a letter of intent?

9. In CA you have to file a PSA online with the state. You don’t notify your local school district. I’m moving to FL though in a couple months and I think something like this is required.

10. I just found your blog, and love all the helpful tips, thank you!

11. In Iowa we do not have to submit a letter of intent either. And we are only required to do 148 days of homeschool, although I think most people I know do more than that to finish up curriculum. Interesting how different states have such different requirements!

12. Nothing required in Illinois (either notice of intent or testing).

13. FYI… Oregon requires you to only notify them once unless you change school districts, then you have to send in a new form. This must be done for children 7-18 years old. Testing has to be done for grades 3, 5, 8 & 10.

14. If you have your child evaluated in CO, the information in the link provided can be interpreted to mean that your child does not have to be evaluated until the parent in charge deems their child has completed the work for that grade. So it seems if your child is behind you may not need the evaluation until they are caught up to that year’s work.

Something to look into further.

• That is interesting. I am considering homeschooling, and researching. I did find that a LOI is required for each year once the child has started school in a public school. (So I have to do it for my son since he attended Kinder, but won’t have to do it for my girls until they are 7.) I’m curious to know if this still applies if I get an “umbrella” school, or if I would be considered “enrolled” in that school. Also, testing or evaluating is required in CO, but as I understand it, I can have it done by a school whenever they do their testing. However, I will be responsible for the cost of that testing. Also, CSAP (state testing) is not required of homeschoolers, just federal standardized testing.

15. In VA you have to file a NOI (name, age of child, and list of subjects to be taught). You also have to have your child tested every year once they turn age 6. For most it’s first grade but for some it’s Kindergarten. We also are required total school days of 180. But honestly that is not logged or submitted to the local School Board office.

In VA you can also file by religious exemption and if you do get that exemption all the above is null and void.

16. I’m surprised at all the inaccuracies from what is normally a top quality blog.

• Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor is this post to be construed as legal advice. For homeschooling laws and requirements for your state, please contact your state’s department of education.

• Every state is different. I think she was posting what her state requires.

I think it’s interesting to see basic requirements from different states! Great post and comments!

17. Nebraska requires notarized letters of intent, signed by BOTH parents listed on the birth certificate(divorced or not), curriculum for math, language arts, science, social studies, and health – if you’re not using a premade curriculum then you submit an outline/summary for each subject, a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate, and the number of hours you will school each month that must equal at least 1,032 hours for K-8. We do not have to test or send in portfolios, but we do have to file each year once the child will be 6 on or before January 1 of the current school year.

18. Gwendolyn says:

I think this post could be confusing for someone new to homeschooling…the laws can be very different for each state, even what is required as far as reporting. Simply stating that this applies to “x” state only and MAY help others in other states would clear up some confusion. I would hate for someone to fill something out that is incorrect for their particular situation/state. Members of HSLDA can access forms that include exactly what they need (nothing extra!) for reporting for their state from the website.

In Michigan, no reporting, notice of intent or testing is required. :)

• Thank you Gwendolyn! I was thinking looking over the site how good it was but when I read this I almost freaked out!

First thing I thought was that this post should have been specified in terms of the bloggers own state requirements and then point others or encourage them *which she did* to their specific state laws.

I am in Michigan and just found out that we have no specific requirements or reporting as home school parents.

Thanks for posting that!

• I am also in Michigan. We are immediately withrawing our daughter from K and I have been scouring the net to get the in’s and out’s. I am so worried about the truancy regulations, but the more I find, the more confident I feel. I am so happy to hear that I don’t HAVE to inform the district or anyone! I am nervous, but it’s so nice to see all the supportive websites!!

19. Hi,

I’ve read that in Indiana, you don’t have to notify that you’re homeschooling… However, my question is if a child is already in school, do you have them taken out and if so, what is the best way to do this…?

20. thanks for the insight…i am getting started early

21. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire
    in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access
    consistently quickly.

22. We moved from MN to KY and my son is 16. Do I still need to send a letter of intent to the school district since he is over the compulsory age? Does anyone know if there would there be any ramifications for not doing so?

23. Several times in this post, she clearly states that requirements vary by state and even tell you where to get the legal advice, clearly stating that she is not an attorney, nor trying to give legal advice.

She simply was doing a nice thing by providing the form that is used and required in her state for those that have asked.

I am confused as to why others feel the need to attack her blogging or information…..IT IS CLEARLY STATED….

“Requirements will vary by state”

“Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor is this post to be construed as legal advice. For homeschooling laws and requirements for your state, please contact your state’s department of education.”

“◾The internet! A simple Google search for “your state + homeschool law” will give you most of the answers you need for your state. If you have more questions, you can also call your local public school district offices.
    ◾www.hslda.org (Home School Legal Defense Association) is a nonprofit agency established to help the constitutional rights of parents to direct the education of their children and protect family freedoms. They have a lot of information regarding homeschooling help.

As always, you will need to contact your state for current homeschool laws and requirements, but I hope this post helps you get started!”

I, for one, greatly appreciate Erica sharing all of her awesome information, ideas and personal life.

So, thank you so much Erica!!!!