APR
2013

The Wright Brothers Unit Study

Hi everyone, I’ve been working hard behind the scenes over here to create a new set of unit studies! This series is all about famous Scientists & Inventors! As usual each study includes fun hands-on activities to go along with the unit to help students remember what they’ve learned, and also provide them with a fun reference too to review and recall each person they’ve learned about.

IMG_8600web_thumb_thumb_thumb_thumb_[1]

Each of my scientist & inventor unit studies contains educational lessons, activities and a fun lap book that your students will work on as they progress through the study. The lessons also include book reports, vocabulary, character traits of these important figures, and critical thinking skills. I currently have 7 studies in this series. These studies are geared towards grades Kindergarten-4th, but can probably be adapted for older students as well.

Today I’m pleased to present The Wright Brothers Unit Study.

IMG_8592web

The Wright Brothers were two American inventors and aviation pioneers credited with inventing the world’s first successful pilot-controlled, powered airplane. Orville Wright was born August 19, 1871 in Dayton Ohio, and Wilbur Wright was born April 16, 1867 in Millville, Indiana. The brothers most important discovery was the invention of three-axis control which enabled the pilot to steer the aircraft well enough to effectively maintain its equilibrium.

Their first and very famous sustained human flight took place on December 17, 1903. The first flight was made by Orville and went a total of 120 feet in 12 seconds at a speed of 6.8 mph. The next two flights covered approximately 175 feet and 200 feet by Wilbur and Orville respectively. The brothers later started up The Wright Company to build and sell airplanes as well as train pilots. And just 66 years after their first flight at Kitty Hawk, a Saturn V rocket carried three American astronauts 240,000 miles to the moon!

IMG_8583web

This study uses the Wright Brothers scientists and inventors series by Mike Venezia, but students are welcome to use any other researched information they can find as well. I would highly encourage older students to do some independent research on their scientist and inventor prior to completing their final report.

Click here to see a video of the Wright Brothers Lapbook:

In this unit students will learn all about the Wright Brothers , their childhood history, lifetime achievements, characteristics, as well as some of their greatest inventions and contributions. Below is a sample of the Lapbook that students will create as they learn about the Wright Brothers. Activities for this unit include:

• All About Orville Wright
  • All About Wilbur Wright
  • Inspiration
  • First Bicycle Company
  • Characteristics
  • New Discoveries
  • Wing Warping
  • Airplane Parts & Terms
  • History of Aircraft
  • Idea Book
  • Paper Airplane Activity
  • Vocabulary
  • A Final Report

IMG_8598web

The study also includes a final report on the Wright Brothers for students to complete. There are several different formats of the report to accommodate varying student grade levels that might be completing the unit.

reports-promo_thumb2_thumb_thumb_thu[1]

Ready to get started? Get this unit for just $2.00!
coahbuynow_thumb[2]

Can’t wait for the others to release?

You can get the whole set of Scientist & Inventor Units at a discount! Click the image below:

scientistpromo_thumb[1]

Ready to Win?
I’m offering a FREE copy of the Wright Brothers Unit Study to one of my readers!

Simply enter using the rafflecopter below!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. I would love to learn about Thomas Edison with my sons:)

2. We’re starting a unit about the Wright brothers this week, so winning this would be wonderful!

3. The Wright Brothers are definitely two people I’d like to learn more about.

4. We’d love to learn about Benjamin Franklin!

5. Would love to learn about them all, as they all made such a big impact on history and how we live today :)

6. Daily Woman (Lacey) says:

Einstein

7. My daughter recently checked out a book from the library about airplanes and LOVED it! She keeps asking more and more about planes, so we would love to learn more about the Wright brothers.

8. Lori Harvey says:

Leonardo da Vinci. I know he was known for his art but was also interested and worked in Science as well.

9. Denise Smith says:

They all look great! Love to study them all :0)

10. We are exploring the Wright Brothers this week with a trip planned to a local airplane museum. All the packs look amazing.

11. They are all great! If I had to pick just one it would be Benjamin Franklin.

12. Ben Franklin!

13. Wright Brothers.

14. Marie Curie!

15. Having read the same book about the wright brothers at least 15 times as a young girl… i want to learn more and teach my kids about them… we are also from Eastern NC so being so close to where they flew….

16. Jenna DeMaria says:

I would love Albert Einstein.

17. Karen Partin says:

Marie Curie , I think.

18. We would love to learn more about the Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey.

19. I would love to see Marie Curie, Eva Crane or Benjamin Franklin. These look wonderful!

20. We have a Wright brothers exhibit in one of our museums here. My DD has been showing interest in them. This would be great.

21. I think any of them would be fun to learn about!

22. I would love to learn about Galileo. He was an amazing man and inventor!

23. I’d like to learn about all of them. I feel like I don’t know much about any of them.

24. Einstein

25. I’d love to learn about Tesla. I think my daughter would love DaVinci.

26. I’m assuming we answer the rafflecopter question here? If so then I would say I like learning and teaching my kids all about any scientist or inventor!

27. george washington carver-yay peanuts!!

28. Would love the Wright brothers! We just visited the Museum of Flight last week. This is perfect!

29. I am interested in all of the inventors you have listed with my kids. The Wright brothers will probably be a hit at my house!

30. I have two Wright Bros. (my sons) and we’d LOVE to learn about them!!!!

31. I would love to learn more about Benjamin Franklin!

32. Johann Gutenberg would be an inventor we’d love to learn more about.

33. Jennifer D. says:

The Montgolfier brothers.

34. Nikola Tesla.

35. Audubon!

36. Ooooo..the wright brothers perfect! We just started a book about these boys!

37. Sarah Ann Wong says:

It would be great to learn more about the Wright brothers using this awesome looking unit study! Thanks.

38. I would love to learn about the Wright Brothers with my children!

39. Amanda Burt says:

I would love to learn about Thomas Edison

40. Melissa GIbson says:

I would love to study Thomas Edison with my boys. I think they would love it!

41. loveathomeschool says:

Leonardo De Vinci!

42. Leonardo De Vinci :)

43. Alexis Rebman says:

I would like to learn about Eli Whitney

44. Angela Russell says:

I love to read about George Washington Carver. His story is an inspiration on persistence and God given talent.

45. Einstein

46. We would love to learn about the Wright brothers since we are related to them.

47. heather thompson says:

i’d love to try it out and see how it could adapt to a middle schooler so we could do this with a multi-age family! love your creativity!

48. I would like to learn about the Wright Brothers. Flying was such an outrageous idea then. It fascinates me how God gives these ideas to people and even gives them the drive to see it through to completion.

49. george washington carver

50. Rebecca Hutchings says:

I’n related to the wright brothers