I know with school nearing a close for many of you, you’re wondering what you’re going to do so your kiddos don’t forget all those precious tidbits you so carefully lodged in their brains over the course of the year. While I don’t plan anything super hard core for summer (we all need a break, me included!) I do keep the kids reading over the summer, mostly fun books. They get to pick what they want to read and as long as it’s appropriate for them, that’s fine.
Just to keep all of the other subjects fresh in their minds, we also do some activities out of the Carson Dellosa Summer Bridge activity books! They’re literally ZERO planning on my part, and great for keeping kids skills fresh over the summer.
Keeping up with your students reading, math, and other basic skills over the long summer break is important. I’m not sure if this happens to your kids, but it seems like a few weeks after school is out my kids seem to forget everything they’ve learned the previous year.
Depending on the day, I usually have the kids are do 1 lesson per day out of their workbook. I don’t usually force the issue too much, there tends to be a time each day where they start getting bored, and the Summer Bridge activities are the perfect solution! The great thing about them, is that they’re colorful and fun, so it’s not hard to get them to do a page or two.
Just to make it a little more fun, we use our Educational Insights Smens pens to make it a little bit more fun. They LOVE IT!
And I kid you not, one of them said “Wow, this is so much more fun than regular school!” and the other came up later in the day and actually asked me if she could do some school in her new workbook! Are you serious? YEAH!
Interested in some summer bridge activities?
Visit Carson-Dellosa for more info:
Just to help kick start your summer, I’m offering a Carson Dellosa Summer Bridge Activity book to 6 lucky winners thanks to the folks at Summer Bridge Books! And as an added bonus, Carson Dellosa themselves are throwing in a super fun Summer Activity Pack!
- Simply leave a comment below letting me know what you do to help fight summer learning loss in your home!
Additional Optional Entries: (Not required to win, leave a separate comment on this post for each additional entry.)
- Like Carson-Dellosa on Facebook
- Follow Carson-Dellosa on Twitter
- Subscribe via email to Confessions of a Homeschooler or Subscribe via RSS to Confessions
- Follow Confessions on Twitter
- Tweet about this giveaway, feel free to copy the text below:
Win a free Summer Bridge Activity from @CDPub and @ericahomeschool! Enter thru 6/8/12! /?p=8835
Nitty Gritty Giveaway Details:
- The give away will be open until midnight EST Friday June 8, 2012. Winner will be announced by Sunday June 10, 2012.
- No purchase necessary to win.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to enter.
- If prize winner forfeits or does not claim the prize, prize will be re-awarded at my sole discretion.
- Void where prohibited by law.
- Make sure to leave a separate comment for each entry, winner will be chosen at random!
- This giveaway is offered to US and Canada residents only!
- Odds of winning based on number of entries.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
- NOTE: In order to enter the contest you must leave a comment on my blog post. To leave a comment scroll to the bottom of the post and fill in the “Speak Your Mind” form. (If you are reading this via RSS, you will need to visit my actual blog to post a comment.)
- Disclosure: I was provided with a complimentary set of products to review on my blog. The opinions I have given are mine and may differ from others but were not influenced by the company or the free product provided.