Quilting 101: How to Bind a Quilt (Machine or Hand)

Hi friends! I’m back with another video in my How to Quilt series. Today I’ll be showing you how to bind your quilt! There are several ways to go about binding your quilt, so today I’m just going to show you a couple of ways that I like to do it. I’ll also be showing you some tips to help you get your binding right the first time!

Q101_binding2

In the video I’ll be showing you how to:

• Create straight edge binding
  • Create bias binding
  • Machine bind
  • Hand bind (This usually means attach the binding to the front side using your machine, then hand sew the binding on the back side to finish it off.)

As you can imagine this video got to be a bit long, but I really wanted to show you how to bind using your machine as well as hand bind. I tend to machine bind mostly just because it’s faster, and I like the finished look. But I know several people who prefer to hand bind because it’s a nice relaxing process, and you can’t even see the stitches on the backside of your quilt so it also provides a really nice hand finished look. I’ll show you both ways so you can try them and decide which one you prefer!

To bind your quilt you’ll need the following supplies:

So if you’re ready to get started, watch Quilting 101: How to Bind a Quilt

I hope you enjoyed that video and that it helps you out in your quilting journey!

If you just tuned in, here are my previous videos in my How to Quilt Series!

Here are a few more of my Quilting Tutorials online if you’re just getting started:

To keep up with our shenanigans, feel free to follow me:

And don’t forget to follow Fat Quarter Shop’s social media to keep up with all of their fun projects!

Win it!

cloverclips

Fat Quarter Shop is giving away a free set of Clover Wonder Clips to one of you! Enter below!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

• Renee Bloomquist August 18, 2016 at 8:23 am

This is great! How about a trunk show online?

• Judith Martinez August 18, 2016 at 7:06 pm

I love the hexie and more ruler.

• Karen August 19, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Hi Erica,
    Thank you for these quilting tutorials! Very inspiring! I treated myself to a Fat Quarter Sampler Box! I can’t wait for it to arrive. I missed the first 3, but glad I got onboard!

Looking forward to returning to my sewing room this fall!

Happy Homeschooling!

• Sarah J September 11, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Thanks for this tutorial. Interesting, I’m never heard of straight binding before. Thanks for the heads up. Btw, when you’re machine binding the back (after attaching it to the front, what does the front stitching look like? Thanks.

• erica September 13, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I show a closeup of the front of the quilt after if you watch the video to the end. It just looks like a straight stitch all the way around the quilt top.

• Denise Powell June 21, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Thank you for this tutorial. Very very helpful. Is there a pattern for the quilt that you use in this video? I love your choice of fabrics!

• Vanessa Van Meter August 25, 2017 at 9:40 pm

I would also love to know the name of the quilt patterns and fabrics used in each video. We share similar tastes because i am in love with each quilt, patterns and fabrics! I have so enjoyed your video tutorias. Thanks so very much!