2106-2017 2nd Grade Homeschool Curriculum

Good morning! Today I’m sharing our 2016-2017 2nd Grade homeschool curriculum with you. I think this year is going to be really fun and  I’ll tell you all about it in the video!

TT_2ndGradeCurriculumPicks

So to see what my 2nd grader will be doing this year watch our 2016-2017 2nd Grade Homeschool Curriculum video here!

2nd Grade Curriculum:

Options: We participate in a once a week options program through our local school district. They offer a variety of classes that help supplement our homeschooling. It also provides the kids with a fun day where they get to see their friends and participate in a classroom environment. Here is a list of her classes this year:

• PE
  • Language Arts – We of course do this at home as well, but I’m finding that it’s a nice supplement to what we’re doing.
  • Science – they get to do fun things like experiments, dissection, electronics, and more.
  • Spanish
  • Music – Choir and basic instruments.

Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links. I may receive a small percentage if you purchase items through my link, so thank you for helping to support my blog! That said, I do NOT recommend anything that we do not use in our homeschool.

Links mentioned in the video:

And that’s it for our 2nd grade curriculum line up this year! I’ll try to do a mid-year update to let you all know how it’s going. We’re trying some new curriculum this year, so that’s always exciting!

To keep up with our shenanigans, feel free to follow me:

Want to see more of my Tip Tuesday Videos? Make sure to click the image below to check out all of my homeschooling tips!

TipTuesday

I hope this helps some of you out, I know getting started can be overwhelming! I wrote a book called Homeschooling 101 that will help answer all of your questions on how to get started homeschooling, choosing curriculum, creating lesson plans, etc. For more information on homeschooling check out my Homeschooling 101: A guide to getting started!

clip_image001

• Felicia Lee September 6, 2016 at 10:27 am

Hi Erica! i was wondering… i am homeschooling my daughter and this year she is in 3rd grade. i am trying to have her do a little more independent work. in some of our workbooks they have a guided practice and then a independent practice page. do you typically do a lesson first then have them do independent work later? or get all the lessons done first then then have them go back and do there independent work..?? i know you have more than 1 student so your way would be different but i’m trying to figure out the best way to do it. right now i am doing a lesson say English.. we do the guided practice together then i leave the table and have her do the next page alone.. it is fresh in her mind when she does it too.. but she still fights me some to do it alone…

• erica September 8, 2016 at 10:09 am

I’ve done it both ways, I think it just depends on what works best for your child. For a couple of mine, doing all of the lessons first didn’t work as well because they’d forget what they were supposed to do by the time they got to the worksheets. So in that case I would just teach them first, then have them do the independent work, teach another subject, do the work, etc.

• Andrea September 6, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Hi I homeschool my 1st grader and 4th grader and we are doing the Abeka science curriculum but I was wondering how since I ordered them both a book on their grade level how do I suggest doing science together when they have different books? I don’t want my 1st grader to miss out on some of the basics 🙂 Thanks

• erica September 8, 2016 at 10:06 am

Unfortunately with Abeka and you having a 1st and 4th grader, they’re far enough apart that I think lessons for 4th would be way too hard for your 1st grader. You’ll either have to do separate books like you ordered, or find something else to do that’s more suited for group work. My Expedition Earth and Road Trip are great for combining grades together which definitely makes life easier!

• Lindsay September 7, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Have you simplified your homeschool curriculum choices? I feel like previous years, you kind of went in between a couple different books with each subject.

• erica September 8, 2016 at 10:08 am

Yes, we did simplify it a bit more this year just out of need. We have a lot going on and I really needed something I could just open and go without a lot of planning. I will say that Abeka isn’t my fave for science or history, but it’s definitely less planning. They do have a TON of quizzes, worksheets, and tests. So we are learning to skip some of the extra busy work just because it’s more meant for a classroom.

• Aisha September 13, 2016 at 11:31 am

Hi Erica!! For your spelling curriculum, does spelling you see teach the “rules” about spelling like All about spelling? Or is it Spelling you see mainly geared towards copy work? Thanks for your help!

• erica September 13, 2016 at 2:50 pm

No, SYS doesn’t teach phonics rules, they have a bit different philosophy. You can read about it on their website. But mainly they believe that through repetition in reading a text, copywork, and dictation, students will learn the correct spelling of words.

• Candace September 16, 2016 at 2:49 pm

hello I was wondering if your unit studies would be applicable for the great illustrated classics versions? I know you use classic starts but we just read Heidi and I was wondering if you knew if it would be similar?

• erica September 20, 2016 at 11:36 am

Hi Candace,
      I’m assuming that the Illustrated versions would have different chapters in them. So while you may be able to adjust the lapbook to fit the other version, it won’t go with it directly.

• Kristen Barkey September 30, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Hi Erica …thank you so much for all this info…so helpful…and glad you are so ahead to be in the year 2106! hee hee! Seriously though…love the info and ideas!!

• Julia November 14, 2016 at 5:56 pm

You mentioned that your still doing spelling lists along with spelling u see. Which curruliculm are you using for spelling lists?