2018-2019 4th Grade Homeschool Curriculum

Hi everyone! Today I’m sharing my 4th grade homeschool curriculum picks with you!

I’m super excited for this year as we’ll be doing my Road Trip USA curriculum again! My 4th grader was too young when we did it last, and so I’m super thrilled to be able to experience it with her now that she’s old enough.

So let’s see what she’s doing this year!

Watch my 2018-2019 4th Grade Homeschool Curriculum video here!

Our 4th Grade Curriculum Choices:

2018_19_4thgradecurriculum

Options: We participate in a once a week options program through our local school district. They offer a variety of classes that help supplement our homeschooling. It also provides the kids with a fun day where they get to see their friends and participate in a classroom environment. Here is a list of her classes this year:

• Language Arts
  • Science
  • Music
  • Geography
  • PE
  • Drawing

Click here to see what our typical 4th grade daily schedule looks like!

4thgradeSchedule

Looking for more 4th grade curriculum suggestions? Check out my 4th Grade Top Homeschool Curriculum Picks post! It lists all of my favorites that we’ve tried over the years. There are multiple suggestions for each subject to give you a variety to choose from! Hope that helps!

Final 4th Grade Advice…

When preparing your curriculum for fourth grade I think the best advice I can give you is to keep it fun and engaging. I like to plan in a lot of field trips wherever we can fit them in. I also make sure to keep track of my student’s workload when planning the year. I use a sample schedule to chart how long each subject will take before buying curriculum at this stage. Fourth grade workloads usually increase a bit, and so the transition can be difficult if you add in too many subjects each day. You may find it easier to alternate between electives doing them only a few times a week instead of daily.

I also like to choose elective curriculum that is more hands-on and engaging. Fourth graders will have a more worksheet oriented year depending on your choices, so I think incorporating hands-on activities can help keep school more fun.

Continue teaching them how to work diligently and more independently where appropriate. I like using the workbox system to help my students learn to complete tasks more independently. Here’s a video on our workboxes and how we use them in our school!

Check out our Homeschool Room Tour here!

2018HSRoomTour1

Need Help Getting Started?

Check out my new HOW TO HOMESCHOOL eCourse! In this course you will learn everything you need to know to be able to homeschool your children and have your BEST HOMESCHOOLING year yet!

eCourse_HTHJoinMe3[3][3]

Happy Back-to-School!

• Kimberly Sperry August 21, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Could you go into detail how you use Abeka science. I find Abeka science a little over whelming! Do you do it all? Do you do the quizzes, tests?

• erica August 28, 2018 at 2:29 pm

We usually do the daily reading, and we do open book quizzes, then the tests normally. It is a TON of material as it’s more designed for a classroom. So I do skip things if I feel that they’re just busy work or we’ve had too many quizzes in one week LOL!

• Heidi Johnson August 22, 2018 at 6:50 am

Thanks for sharing. Do you really make your kids do their subjects in the order and times you have set here? What would be wrong with giving them their books and letting them work at their own pace and order?

• Jill August 26, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Do you find Spelling You See worked better for you than All About spelling? I have a child that isn’t grasping it with All about spelling and not sure what to try next.

• erica August 28, 2018 at 2:21 pm

I would say if AAS isn’t working, then yes try SYS. They are booth good, just different styles. I tend to like to go through AAS Level 1 at the very least because it has great phonics practice in it, but then my kids have also done really well with SYS.

• Sydney September 4, 2018 at 3:15 pm

What do you use for vocabulary?

• erica September 4, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Our IEW Fix It! Grammar includes vocabulary 🙂

• Breanna September 10, 2018 at 8:49 pm

How do you use the A Beka Reading books and Skills sheets throughout the week. Do they read the books throughout the week and do 1 skills sheet a week??

• erica September 12, 2018 at 11:07 am

We do one Read & Think Skill test every Friday. I am not using the Abeka readers this year, she is doing my literature units instead. But if we were, we tend to just read one story/chapter per day.

• Aisha September 26, 2018 at 9:09 am

How are you using the Indescribable 100 Devotions? Do the kids just read it on their own or you do it with them? Thanks Erica!

• erica September 27, 2018 at 2:05 pm

We just read them one per day together 🙂

• aisha October 15, 2018 at 9:28 am

Thanks Erica!! What are you using during the 10 minute Handwriting and Reading portion on the daily schedule?

• erica October 16, 2018 at 10:44 am

She does my literature units during reading time, and this year we’re using IEW Writing and Spelling You See so I count both as handwriting practice.