Did you know that April is national humor month? Yep that’s right, all month long we get to be funny! Sounds like a good time to me!
And April is full of interesting days, so let’s get started shall we?
- April 1 – April Fool’s Day.
- April 5 – Easter Sunday.
- Week 1 Library Week
- Week 1 Read a Road Map Week
- Week 2 Garden Week
- Week 3 Organize Your Files Week
- Week 3 Medical Labs Week
- Week 4 Administrative Assistants Week
- Week 4 National Karaoke Week
Monthly Fun Days
April 1 April Fool’s Day –
- The day when it’s acceptable to play jokes or tricks on one another. I’ve never been able to decide if I like this holiday or not. I don’t like the thought of being tricked all day long, and I’m just naive enough to believe these tricksters! But I do think it might be fun to leave a comment below telling us all your favorite April Fool’s Day trick.
April 2 Children’s Book Day –
- Great day to pick a favorite classic and have a relaxing afternoon reading!
April 2 National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day –
- Sounds like a great lunch idea to me!
April 3 Tweed Day –
- Tweed originated in Scotland, and is a wool that keeps you warm and looks nice too! Since it’s warm here, I think we’ll skip out on the tweed wearing. But by all means if it’s chilly in your neck of the woods wear it proud!
April 3 National Walk to Work Day – (First Friday of month)
- This is a great way to get a little exercise while cutting down on pollution too!
April 5 Easter (Date varies) -
- The day we celebrate the resurrection of Christ after His crucifixion. Most churches have special services, and families often celebrate with Easter brunch, egg hunts, and dying eggs.
April 7 Caramel Popcorn Day –
- Oooh, I LOVE caramel popcorn! Here’s a fun DIY caramel popcorn recipe, I haven’t tried it, but I just might have to give it a whirl today!
April 7 No Housework Day –
- Sounds good to me!
April 7 World Health Day –
- This day is sponsored by United Nation’s World Health Organization and focuses on promoting good health all around the world. Make sure to have healthy snacks, drinks, and meals today! Well, you really should do it every day, but you know, for sure today!!
April 8 Draw a Picture of a Bird Day –
- Oh, this sounds like a great activity for art today! Head outside and find a feathery friend to draw, look one up online, or head to the library and get some photo books of birds for inspiration.
April 9 Winston Churchill Day –
- Winston Churchill was made an honorary US citizen on April 9, 1963. He was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1949 to 1945, and again from 1951-1955. He was recognized as one of the greatest wartime leaders of the 20th century. He was also a well known historian, writer, and an artist, winning the Nobel prize in Literature! Take some time today to learn a little bit about this man and his accomplishments.
April 10 Golfer’s Day –
- Well, my husband and dad will be excited to know there’s a day dedicated to their favorite past time! I on the other hand will probably be subject to watching golf on TV this evening. Ugh.
April 10 National Siblings Day –
- Take some time today to appreciate your siblings! Do something kind for them, or send a little note letting them know how much you love them!
April 11 Eight Track Tape Day –
- Do you remember those? I’m embarrassed to admit that I do! I used to have a HUGE white 70’s looking stereo that played vinyl records and 8 tracks. It was so cool man. Take some time today to show your kids what these things looked like. while you’re at it, show them what a walk-man was. Wait, you’ll probably have to tell them what a cassette is too LOL!
April 11 National Submarine Day –
- Are we talking the boat, or the sandwich? Most references I found talked about the boat, but hey, why not have a sub-sandwich for lunch just incase? And I think we’ll try making our submarines out of an empty 2-liter soda bottle for fun too! Maybe an upside down cup, and straw sticking out the top for a little detail, no?
April 13 Scrabble Day –
- I’m ashamed to admit that we haven’t played Scrabble with our kids other than once a long time ago…oh dear, guess I better bring out the old classic and introduce the game to my kids!
April 14 International Moment of Laughter Day –
April 14 National Pecan Day –
- Pecan is from the Algonquian word meaning a nut requiring a stone to crack. The pecan isn’t actually a nut but technically a drupe, a fruit with a single stone surrounded by a husk. I don’t like pecan pie, but I do like pecans in my salad, so I think I’ll be having my Strawberry, pecan, feta salad for lunch! Yum!
April 15 Titanic Remembrance Day –
- We were just talking about the Titanic with our kids the other day. April 15th is dedicated to the memory of the Titanic, and over 1500 people who died in the icy waters of the north Atlantic ocean. The ship was called “unsinkable” and touted as the safest ship afloat by her designer. However on her maiden voyage from England to New York City, the ship hit an iceberg in the Atlantic ocean, just south of newfoundland, at 11:40 PM on April 14, 1912. Two hours later, with a gaping gash in her side, the ship sank into the icy waters. 1,522 crew and passengers were lost in the tragedy as there were only enough lifeboats for 1,178 people, slightly more than half of the number on board, and one-third her total capacity.
April 16 National Eggs Benedict Day –
- These are my favorite eggs ever! Here’s a fun eggs benedict recipe from the pioneer woman that sound delicious!
April 16 National Librarian Day –
- We love heading to the library, whether to work, or just look for new reads. Make sure to show a little appreciation for your librarian today!
April 20 Patriot’s Day (Third Monday of the month) -
- In New England get a day off today to commemorate the Battle of Lexington and Concord on April 19, 1775. This battle began the American Revolutionary War and honors the midnight ride of Paul Revere! If you haven’t heard about Paul Revere or the Revolutionary War make sure to check out my Road Trip USA geography curriculum to learn more!
April 22 National Jelly Bean Day
- Like Jelly Beans? Didn’t get enough at Easter? I guess today is the day to have some! I don’t love jelly beans, but I do love Jelly Bellies, so I’ll be trying one of those today instead.
April 23 National Zucchini Bread Day –
- I love zucchini bread, but haven’t made it myself! Here’s a zucchini bread recipe that we might just have to try out.
April April 25 World Penguin Day
- My son loves penguins, and he’ll be thrilled to see that there’s a day dedicated to them! Take some time today to learn a little more about our flightless feathery friends.
April April 26 National Pretzel Day –
- Do soft pretzels count? If so I’m in. Here’s a soft pretzel recipe for you to try out.
April 26 Richter Scale Day –
- The Richter Scale measures the amount of energy released by an earth quake by measuring the magnitude or seismic waves they produce. The scale measures from 0-9 with 9 being the highest. There are several websites with real time Richter Scale reporting, earthquakes today is just one that shows activity all over the globe.
April 27 Babe Ruth Day –
- On April 27, 1947 Babe Ruth was honored at Yankee Stadium. He was nearing the end of his life suffering from throat cancer, and died a year later at age 53. He appeared in front of 58,339 fans who cheered in his honor. George Herman Ruth was acquired by the major league baseball team, the Boston Red Sox, in 1914. He helped the Red Sox win the World Series in 1916 and 1918, and was later sold to the Yankees. He became a full0time hitter and turned into the game’s greatest star, gathering crowds in every city he played in.
April 27 National Prime Rib Day –
- I love prime rib, and I have a super easy prime rib recipe on my website that you have to try!
April 27 Tell a Story Day –
- I think this would be a great way to end our day! Impromptu story telling! That or it’s always fun to sit in a circle and have one person start, then let the others continue as the story gets to them.
April 28 International Astronomy Day –
- This day was created by Doug Berger, president of the Astronomical Association of Northern California in 1973. His hope was to promote greater education and understanding of our amazing universe.
April 28 Great Poetry Reading Day –
- Have a favorite poet? Share them below so we can all have a little inspiration for today!
And that’s it for the April 2015 holidays and fun days! See you next month with another list of random and wacky days!