OurFamilySchedule2012.jpg

Our Daily Homeschool Schedule

I’ve had numerous questions on what our daily schedule looks like. While each day can bring on a life of it’s own, we do have a basic schedule and we stick to it for the most part barring any unforeseen circumstances! I find that our children do better with a general overall guideline of how their day will go.

OurFamilySchedule2012

Here is our schedule….basically…provided nothing unexpected happens…like say the Teeny Tot decides to paint the floor with her new blue fingernail polish.

7:30 am – Shower/get dressed

8:00 am – Breakfast, and I start a load of laundry (I usually do 1 load per day, sometimes 2)

8:30 am – SCHOOL STARTS!

• 8:30 – Bible
  • 9:00 – Math
  • 9:30 – Spelling
  • 9:45 – Handwriting
  • 10:00 – English/Snack
  • 10:30 – Reading
  • 11:00 – Free Reading Time (Kids can pick any book they want, but must read for 15 min.)
  • 11:15ish – LUNCH BREAK (Switch out laundry to dryer)
  • 12:15 – History/Science (Alternate doing each 2x per week)
  • 12:45 – Piano/Typing (Alternate doing each 2x per week)
  • 1:00 – World’s Greatest Composers/ART (Alternate doing each 1x per week)
  • 1:30 – Writing
  • 2:00 – Classic Literature Units (We started with Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe)

2:30 pm – SCHOOL ENDS! (Well you know, technically it ends…realistically my kids are subject to my constant pop quizzes all day long.) I re-fill workboxes while the kiddos clean up their areas and make sure the school room is all nice and pretty like it was when we started!

3:00 pm – Chore time: Everyone does what they can from their chore chart assignments. Fold and put away laundry, dishwasher, etc.

3:30 pm – Free Time (Kids play while I check email, etc.)

5:00 pm – Dinner Prep (Kids set table and some help me prepare dinner…depending on their mood of course…and mine!)

5:45pm: 10 Minute Tidy: This is where I set a timer and everyone runs around like maniacs cleaning up anything can they find so when Daddy comes home the house is a clean and serene oasis so he assumes its like that all day ;o)…sorry honey, the secret is out…please don’t come home any earlier than 5:50 unannounced or my reputation will be ruined forever.

6:00pm: Dad enters & asks “So, what did you do all day?” I say “Not much, just lounged around and ate bon-bons.”  Dad quizzes kids to make sure I’m kidding.

6:00ish – Dinner/dishes/sweep kitchen floor (Seriously, how does it get destroyed after 1 meal?)

7:00pm – Tues and Thurs all four kiddos do swim lessons (yes, they’re year round! If you’re curious as to why you can read more here.)

7:30pm – Family devotions & bedtime (Clean up rooms, take baths, brush teeth, go to bed!)

8pm: Free time for mom and dad….sit down for first time today and sigh…blog…make cool printables to share…check emails etc. and praise God we made it through another homeschool day without burning down the house!

NOTE: And that is why, if you’ve emailed me during the day, you probably won’t hear back until the evening! Please be patient with me, I really do try to get back to everyone by the end of the day, but there are a lot of you and one of me ;o)

Some of the tools I use to help keep me organized:

Need help building a schedule that works? Click here to download my schedule printable:

This week is Schedule Week with the iHomeschool Network Back-ToSchool Blog Hop!

Make sure to stop by and see how other homeschoolers organize their day!

nbts-blog-hop-calendar-2012

• Joyce August 30, 2012 at 12:07 am

We have the 10-minute tidy too! Makes everything much better. 🙂

• Annie Moffatt August 30, 2012 at 1:24 am

I thought I was the only crazy one one who set the timer for things:). It really does help:)

• Meg August 30, 2012 at 1:37 am

You are seriously amazing and inspiring!

• Shelly H. August 30, 2012 at 6:25 am

Erica, I truly appreciate you so much. I’ve been following you for years now and truly glean so much wisdom and many ideas from you. I have no fellow friends homeschooling with me, and this is my first year. I am so thankful for someone who I trust to look to online as an example. Your schedule is great, simple, practical, REAL, and doable!
    Thank you!!!
    Shelly

• Shonda August 30, 2012 at 6:40 am

You are so organized. My question is, when do you PLAN for all the different grade levels in homeschooling? I find planning to take hours and hours because I’m trying to research ideas and order books from the library. I could spend all night just working on one little thing!

• Heidi August 30, 2012 at 6:53 am

Now I know where you find the time to create all the awesome printables! Our schedule at night is crammed with 3 kids in their different sports activities. Bath & Bed is 9/9:30 for our kids so hubby and I don’t get one uninterrupted sentence until at least 9:30, usually 10pm. 🙁 It is a busy life but I know we all do it because it is so worth it! Thanks for sharing your day with us!

• Staci Lynch August 30, 2012 at 8:01 am

Hi Erica! Thanks for sharing! I do have a question, do you have all the kids working on the subjects at the same time and do you fill the boxes in the same order each day? Thanks for all you do!!

• Lisa M August 30, 2012 at 8:34 am

wow, Erica! you get your kids to bed that early??? How on earth do you manage that? Especially with the sun going down so late right now?? My boys go to bed 9:30ish and get up at 8am. I am discovering more and more that they have much later bedtimes than most kids–but they are getting nearly 12 hours of sleep! With the early bedtime, do they get up super early too? I am envious of your longer “alone” time every night without the kidlets! LOL! thanks for sharing!

• Denise Kingery August 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I absolutely love your schedule! I came up with our schedule (somewhat similar to yours) which we have been using for a little over two weeks now and it needs a little adjustment. Your schedule has given me a couple ideas to help ours. THANKS!

• Carmen August 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Your kids can go to sleep at 7pm? Wow, you are so blessed! Even my 5.5 ds goes to bed at 9pm.

1 2 3